Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM  

Locust Grove, VA
Yeah I hate the taxes too.

My 1991 XJ was like $30 (personalized tags). My '90XJ was $25. I just bought an '89 Ford F250 and got slapped with a $206, tags, taxes, title and fees.

This is when I found out how it all works. Taxes are based on the purchase of the vehicle (not the original MSRP) but how much it was purchased for at that time. So because I bought my '90 for $300 bucks taxes on it are nearly nothing.

So what you do is grab your spouse or friend, sell it to him/her for $1. Have a new title made in their name. Have him/her sell it to you for $1. Get new title made, viola your taxes just dropped to the floor because there is only so much tax they can take out of that $1 you paid for that vehicle...

Naughty? Yup. But IMO I'm not going to pay a ton of money for something when I don't and shouldn't have to.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM  

Fairfax, Virginia
I just got a JK last week and am not looking forward to what my bill is goiing to be after the first year.....AWESOME!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 AM  

Richmond, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTTang30 View Post
It ia tottal and pure BS. It is illegal under federal law really.

I pay TAX on my car when I buy in in the form of state sales tax, DMV fees ect....

Then every year I have to PAY more TAX to own a car I already paid tax for.

I am sick of hearing that it is going away when they know darn well they are not going to get rid of it no matter what. Free money is free money.
I hate it as much as anybody but how is it illegal under federal law? I am not tyring to cause problems, I really want to know. Because, no matter what state we are in, we pay property tax on our land/homes so why does extending this to vehicles violate a law that the home tax doesn't?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 AM  

Fairfax, VA
Every new politician says they'll get rid of the tax and then they back down after in office.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM  
Curmedgeon

Max Meadows, VA
I retired 2 years ago then moved here. They are taxing me to death. Taxes on the vehicles, county stickers, inspection sticker, Wythe County is taxing me on a higher value of my house that what I paid for it!

The list goes on and on.

Apparently, VA does not like retirees.

I need my own scam. What am I to do? Make moonshine?

It looks like the only way to survive is to do something illegal....or become a politician.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:19 AM  

Richmond, VA
I guess none of you have ever lived in the Northeast. My parents live in NJ and pay over $8k in property taxes on a basic 2000 sf home with no master bath or walk-in closets. Add to that the highest car insurance in the nation. They can't wait to come move here and get relief from real taxes--they laugh at the car tax since it is nothing compared to what the goverment makes them pay to have their trash collected.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 AM  

Fairfax, Virginia
This doesn't answer the question directly but perhaps lends some fuel to the fire. I heard somewhere that VA still considered a car/truck a luxury item.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:33 PM  
Poison Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracemely View Post
This doesn't answer the question directly but perhaps lends some fuel to the fire. I heard somewhere that VA still considered a car/truck a luxury item.
I think it depends how they class your vehicle on the title.

My 88 XJ was listed as an SUV and the 89 was listed as a wagon, and I think there was like a $5-10 difference in the tax even though they were assessed at the same price.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 AM  

Richmond, Virginia
I own a 2008 F450 that was bought, titled, registered and insured in another state due to Virginia's personal property tax. In Virginia, personal property on a truck that cost over $65,000 (without any relief due to weight) would be a hefty bill each and every year. I plan on keeping it registered and insured in another state for the life of the vehicle. BTW....I lived in this "other" state for a year and a half thus it was easy to perform the above. For the other vehicles....I am checking out other states to register them in....as I have relatives in the mid west who would allow me to utilize their address. The only issue with this.....if you get pulled for any reason.....with out of state tags.....there will be questions raised as to the why's. My reasoning is that I have two residences....one is now a PO Box in another state.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
I was even stuck paying PPTs for a vehicle that was in pieces (collecting dust) errr I mean being restored. I had a 76 VW Beetle (and a 65 Mustang) and they both had PPTs applied to them. Small taxes, but taxes nonetheless.

While it made me (almost) cry to rid myself of those vehicles, it is nice to not get THOSE bills once a year.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.