Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM  

Richmond, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb009 View Post
I own a 2008 F450 that was bought, titled, registered and insured in another state due to Virginia's personal property tax. In Virginia, personal property on a truck that cost over $65,000 (without any relief due to weight) would be a hefty bill each and every year. I plan on keeping it registered and insured in another state for the life of the vehicle. BTW....I lived in this "other" state for a year and a half thus it was easy to perform the above. For the other vehicles....I am checking out other states to register them in....as I have relatives in the mid west who would allow me to utilize their address. The only issue with this.....if you get pulled for any reason.....with out of state tags.....there will be questions raised as to the why's. My reasoning is that I have two residences....one is now a PO Box in another state.
So simply put, Fraud!! And it is now documented on a public forum--Smart.

You people need to quit Whining. If they get rid of this tax, they will take it from somewhere else. Or the other option is to cut things like road maintenance, teacher funding, police force, etc. And the same complainers on this website will be the first to complain when they want to cut a program--this country wants it both ways.

Virginia is #34 overall for tax burden and below the national average:
CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate

Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 AM  

Richmond, Virginia
I noticed someone decided to reply with the below message. Well.....it isn't fraud because it is registered, insured and titled in another state. I tend to move from time to time thus does it really matter where ones vehicle is registered in this case? And BTW.....I'm in the Military with a DOD decal in on the windshield. So before you make the assumption that you know everything about a situation......you may not have all the facts at hand. I, for one, do not agree with the Virginia car tax. Once I pay for a vehicle there should be no additional taxes involved. However....states will make the shortfall up somewhere....just as the poster mentioned but I'd rather pay an increase in sales tax rather than a car tax that has seems to have a sliding rule. For example....my F450 is taxed at a commercial rate when in fact it is used for noncommercial purposes. So where is the fair application of taxing vehicles within Virginia? I don't see it. And BTW...I pay taxes on two motorcycles, an RV, a Trailer and two vehicles (a car and a second truck) thus I am not dodging the bullet by much and I feel I pay my fair share.

Take Care...

Posted by: 2manyjeeps
On: 11-08-2010 04:56 PM

---Quote (Originally by Chrisb009)---
I own a 2008 F450 that was bought, titled, registered and insured in another state due to Virginia's personal property tax. In Virginia, personal property on a truck that cost over $65,000 (without any relief due to weight) would be a hefty bill each and every year. I plan on keeping it registered and insured in another state for the life of the vehicle. BTW....I lived in this "other" state for a year and a half thus it was easy to perform the above. For the other vehicles....I am checking out other states to register them in....as I have relatives in the mid west who would allow me to utilize their address. The only issue with this.....if you get pulled for any reason.....with out of state tags.....there will be questions raised as to the why's. My reasoning is that I have two residences....one is now a PO Box in another state.
---End Quote---
So simply put, Fraud!! And it is now documented on a public forum--Smart.

You people need to quit Whining. If they get rid of this tax, they will take it from somewhere else. Or the other option is to cut things like road maintenance, teacher funding, police force, etc. And the same complainers on this website will be the first to complain when they want to cut a program--this country wants it both ways.

Virginia is #34 overall for tax burden and below the national average:
CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate (CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate)

All the best,
CityProfile.com - City and State Forums

Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM  

Richmond, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb009 View Post
I noticed someone decided to reply with the below message. Well.....it isn't fraud because it is registered, insured and titled in another state. I tend to move from time to time thus does it really matter where ones vehicle is registered in this case? And BTW.....I'm in the Military with a DOD decal in on the windshield. So before you make the assumption that you know everything about a situation......you may not have all the facts at hand. I, for one, do not agree with the Virginia car tax. Once I pay for a vehicle there should be no additional taxes involved. However....states will make the shortfall up somewhere....just as the poster mentioned but I'd rather pay an increase in sales tax rather than a car tax that has seems to have a sliding rule. For example....my F450 is taxed at a commercial rate when in fact it is used for noncommercial purposes. So where is the fair application of taxing vehicles within Virginia? I don't see it. And BTW...I pay taxes on two motorcycles, an RV, a Trailer and two vehicles (a car and a second truck) thus I am not dodging the bullet by much and I feel I pay my fair share.
Let me be clear, I don't agree with the tax either and earlier I asked about its legality and have gotten no response--I'd love to see it go away. But, as of yet, it hasn't.

Does the Military exempt you from the tax? If so, there is no need for the other state. If your service does not exempt you and you own the car, you live here, you work here, you store/drive the car here and the only tie to the other state is a relative's address, you are supposed to register it here. Justify it however you want but it will still be just that, a justification.

I also understand the feeling that you are paying more than your fair share and I don't think all parts of the tax code are fair (like the commercial aspect of your truck). However, if take $1,000 in income under the table, even if I make $200k, it is still illegal, even if it is a small % of my total tax burden that I am 'stealing'.

If you want to change it, work with your representatives, don't just skip out of paying it because you disagree.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 AM  

Virginia
Virginia might be 34th overall, but NoVa pays much higher taxes than the rest of the state. And almost all of that money goes to projects in the lower-taxed areas.

Also, the military doesn't directly make you exempt from the taxes. It just lets you get taxed as though you were in another location. Like your home of record or whatever. When I was stationed in an area of the deep south that had a state, city, and county tax that all overlapped, so I was paying va property tax on my car, and keeping it registered here instead. But that was worth it due to some of the ridiculous local laws governing registrations and stuff in that area.
Man, that's a lot of commas...
Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 PM  

Blacksburg, Virginia
Just had to pay county personal property tax, and city personal property tax for 2011. Wasn't very happy that I am taxed twice for someone I already paid tax on when I bought it.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM  

Alexandria, Virginia
I have lived here for 12 years and every year their is at least one politician who says that they are going to eliminate it, but every year I get my notice of how much I owe.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 PM  

Arlington, VA
$ Tax on the car.
$ for registration fee
$ for personal property tax
In some localities, another $25 for a damn sticker

All this to have the benefit of driving on toll roads

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Bookmark this Page!