Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2010, 09:08 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Daylight savings.

I don't even know if it would be possible, but I am curious how many of you would sign a petition to have Washington not honor daylight savings and for us to remain on the summer time schedule.
I once was all in favor of DLS but I'm pretty sick of the 4:30 sunsets. I would rather the sunrise be 9am and sunset after 5pm.
I know it will never happen. I just thought I would see what other washingtonians think.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 AM  

Sammamish, WA
I'm with you, Cap'n. It's dark when I leave for work at 6am, and dark when I get home at 5pm. But, the summer schedule is daylight savings, so your petition would be to stay on daylight savings all year. Of course when we get deeper into winter and the days get really short we'd still not see much daylight but at least that would be postponed. Cold down your way this morning? It's 34 up here.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
It was chilly this morning. My thermometer was showing 37. But it is sunny and I'll take 37 and sunny over raining and 57.
You know I never knew which time was the "original" one. On the shortest day sunrise will be after 8am and sunset about 4:18pm. It wouldn't make much difference then but in Feb at least we would be back around a 6:30pm sunset and that makes a difference to me.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I thought it was done originally to hep the farmers have more light to get their
work done in the fields, and still be able to catch prime-time TV commercials.

Seriously, I thought it started in WWI and then gained new momentum in the early 1970s as an energy conservation measure, less need for electricity for
lights. Change to CFL bulbs and LEDs and we don't need it.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
I thought it was so that the kids wouldn't be standing in the dark waiting for the bus.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM  
Supporting Member

Yakima, Washington
As an electrician, I appreciate the recent change. When I get to a job site now, its light, and we dont need to run around plugging in drop lights or working in the dark. Last week thats what we had to do. I leave at 5 am and its dark, by the time I get home at 5-6 it is dusk/dark, so my day is burned anyhow. I would rather have the light by the time we start work at 7, than a little bit of low light when I get home.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM  

Vancouver, Washington
Anyone catch the piece the news carried on the increase in car/ped accidents when DST goes into effect? Another good arguement on keeping the time one set standard.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 AM  
most definitely a nobody

Tacoma-ish, Washington
I'm in... tired of trying to explain (twice a year)to the under 10 crowd around my house why it's time to go to bed, and why it's not time to get up (yet)

Hoss
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I'm in... tired of trying to explain (twice a year)to the under 10 crowd around my house why it's time to go to bed, and why it's not time to get up (yet)

Hoss
One of the reasons my kids won't learn to tell time. Kidding the three year old argues "It no 9.". I know it's not nine, but I need a break.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:23 PM  

East Wenatchee, Washington
I'd love it if we could do away with DLS.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Bookmark this Page!