Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Which has the steeper grade? Stevens or Snoqualmie pass

And which one has a longer incline? I'm going to be crossing the mountains this weekend on my way to the Gorge and I'm going in my VW Bus. I want to take the easiest pass.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM  
most definitely a nobody

Tacoma-ish, Washington
I'd be more worried about Vantage than either of those passes...

Snoqualmie is easy, but you miss Leavensworth

Hoss

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
Yeah I have thought about Vantage. I'll have no choice but to take I-90 on the way back. I was hoping to take Hwy 2 over and 90 back but I can't remember how steep the pass over Stevens is. It's been about 3 years since I went that way and I have never been past Leavenworth. I'm leaning on taking I-90 both ways. My biggest fear is that I have owned the bus only 5 months and have never driven it farther than 22 miles at one time. Thank God for AAA.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM  
most definitely a nobody

Tacoma-ish, Washington
LEAVENWORTH is beautiful, I'd take the time to go that route if you can.

enjoy the trip!

Hoss
Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
I went to Leavenworth around Oktoberfest a few years ago. It is gorgeous. I'm thinking about taking my chances and going that way. I'll let you know if I made it.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
In case anyone cares.
I made the journey from Seattle to the east on Hwy2 over Stevens pass through Leavenworth and Wenatchee on to Quincy then down to the Gorge. I came back on I-90 and took a side trip to Snoqualmie Falls. Everything went well. My bus made it over all the hills.....slowly but she made it. Afterwards I would guess that I-90 and HWY 2 are probably not much different in the steepness but I think I-90 has a long uphill climb eastbound than HWY2. Heading west, HWY 2 would definitely be worse than I-90. I-90 west bound to Snoqualmie pass was not an issue at all. The drive or coast as I made it down to the east from Stevens pass would have been hell going west.
So, if anyone needs to know.
Heading east, I-90 and HWY 2 are identical in regards to the grade but I think I-90 is a longer climb.
Heading west, I-90 is not much of a climb at all and you have already made most of the elevation over shorter climbs earlier so that when you make it to Snoqualmie pass most of the climbing has been done. HWY 2 on the other hand is very steep and a longer climb.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 PM  
most definitely a nobody

Tacoma-ish, Washington
WELL I, FOR ONE, DO CARE

and how was the concert?

Hoss
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Thanks Hoss,

The concert was great, although 3 nights might be a little much or I'm getting old. It did get pretty windy and down right cold at night but all in all a great time. I definitely did not bring enough to do while waiting for the show.
Now I just want to get out and tour Washington and head to all the little camping areas and back roads that I can in my bus. I'm in love with it now
Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 PM  

Seattle, WA
One thing that is SUPER awe inspiring is Steven's pass peak around midnight on a clear night when the Leonid showers are going on.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 PM  

Redmond, Wa
I find Stevens to have more exhilarating runs, but Snoqualmie is closer. Snoqualmie pass, in my opinion, is an easier drive wrt curves and inclines.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads