Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
Initiative 1098

Thoughts?
I think I'm going to vote no on this one.
If I knew the money was actually going to be used in a constructive manner that would help everyone in Washington and there was no way that it would lead to an income tax on everyone and it was only temporary, I might get behind it. But the state government doesn't have a good track record for not increasing taxes when they just said they wouldn't.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:18 PM  

seattle, wa
it is supposed to lower property tax and get rid of the B&O tax for small business.. since i neither own a home nor a small business it doesn't help me out anyway
i voted no

Old 10-15-2010, 10:40 AM  

Rochester, WA
I'm voting no. I know this will offend people, but we have a woman in charge with spending issues. The money isn't going to go anywhere good except filling the state deficit, hopefully.
In 2 years, everyone that doesn't own a home or small business will be affected. Ben, you will be affected by a new WA state income tax if this passes. I own a small business and I'm voting no.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 PM  

Renton, Washington
I am voting no. It only lowers the STATE portion of your property tax, which is actually a small portion of your total property taxes. So the reduction is actually quite small. I also tend to believe this is just the beginning of what will eventually be a full-blown income tax in the years/decades to come.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM  

Edmonds, Washington
In unison, I must vote no as well... for all the reasons above!

McBrando
Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 PM  

Grandview, WA
I, too, will vote no. Sounds kind of fishy to me. Here is a quote from the anti-1098 site: [QUOTE]Of the more than $5.2 million raised to promote a state income tax, $3.3 million, or 63 percent, is union money. Almost half of this money — more than $1.5 million — is from national and international unions on the East Coast.

Why is this money being spent here? Because the taxes collected here under I-1098 will be spent, directly and indirectly, on employees who pay dues to those same unions. /QUOTE]

I am not a rabid anti-union person, but as a former manager, I saw the union protect too many slackers. Also unions on the east coast...?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.