Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
A question about renewing automobile plates

If my plates expire this month for a vehicle that I will not be driving and I don't renew the plates until I know I will be driving it; will the renewal be
A) prorated and start from that month that I renew it
B) will it be prorated and still have a renewal month of January
C) will it not be prorated and start from the month that I renew
D) no prorating and start from January no matter what month I renew it?
I would just call the Licensing office, but I?m at work and was hoping someone could answer this for me tonight before I give them a call tomorrow. Thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 07:33 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I have renewed mine late before, and it started from the date I renewed it. Not to say that it hasn't changed, that was a few years ago.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
I know in Texas (at least it was like this) that it would be prorated and start from the month that it expired and you had to sign a form saying you hadn't driven it while the plates were expired (I never understood that part).
I have to work tomorrow morning but I'm going to call the DOL office and see what they say.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 PM  
Ceg

Selah, Washington
Every time I have paid taps months late I got charged for the year starting the month they were due. I do this with my quad and trailers every year since they are not used but parts of the year off my land. I was told it had to be over one year to get a different tap month if the vehicle or trailer was not transferred. It has been that way for the last 23 years where I went in Washington to renew.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
So basically there is no benefit to not renew?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 AM  
Motorized Toy Collector

Washington State
Ceg is right. I have a utility trailer that I use very little, but keep because it does come in handy once in a while, and for friends to borrow. One year, the tabs were expired over 6 months and I needed to use it. I tried to do the same thing (get a new month). They said No. I just scoured the D.O.L. website to see if I could find the exact wording on this, but no luck. But I did get reminded of all the extra fees they tack on top of the $30 for just about every vehicle. The "we want more money fee", might as well throw that on there. Should be a multi-vehicle discount like insurance companies offer. All my junk will never be on the road at the same time, yet I get soaked every year as if they were.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
Ceg is right. I have a utility trailer that I use very little, but keep because it does come in handy once in a while, and for friends to borrow. One year, the tabs were expired over 6 months and I needed to use it. I tried to do the same thing (get a new month). They said No. I just scoured the D.O.L. website to see if I could find the exact wording on this, but no luck. But I did get reminded of all the extra fees they tack on top of the $30 for just about every vehicle. The "we want more money fee", might as well throw that on there. Should be a multi-vehicle discount like insurance companies offer. All my junk will never be on the road at the same time, yet I get soaked every year as if they were.
If they would just come out and say it, I would have more respect for them.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
In case anyone cares and to verify what others have said, I just got off the phone with DOL and there is no prorated renewal. It doesn't matter when you renew you will pay the full price and the anniversary stays the same.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 AM  
Motorized Toy Collector

Washington State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch Killa View Post
In case anyone cares and to verify what others have said, I just got off the phone with DOL and there is no prorated renewal. It doesn't matter when you renew you will pay the full price and the anniversary stays the same.
I care! And, that sucks. I hate them. Yesterday, I had to pay $459.50 to transfer a title into my name for a 17 year old F250 pickup, and the tabs are still good until July. The original owner was rheemed with taxes for the purchase price-The second owner was shellacked for what he bought it for-Then, I came along for another severe poking. America, land of the fee.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
I care! And, that sucks. I hate them. Yesterday, I had to pay $459.50 to transfer a title into my name for a 17 year old F250 pickup, and the tabs are still good until July. The original owner was rheemed with taxes for the purchase price-The second owner was shellacked for what he bought it for-Then, I came along for another severe poking. America, land of the fee.
With all the money the state makes from automobiles you would think we wouldn?t be in the financial mess we are in. The vehicle I'm renewing my tabs for is a 1978 VW Bus and I had to pay 4OO in sales tax when I bought it. Just think how much money the state has made off of that 32 year old Bus. I know it hasn't always been in WA but it's been here for awhile.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Bookmark this Page!