Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Dungeness Ruins Rating: None

Georgia Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Cumberland Island Email This Bookmark Print
Found at Georgia?s Cumberland Island, Dungeness Ruins has a very long history to tell. The name came originally from the very first property, which was a hunting lodge named Dungeness, in the area, owned by James Oglethorpe in 1736. In 1803, it was replaced by a mansion built by Nathaniel Greene, which was later on used as a headquarters by the British.

The mansion was not used until after the civil war, when Thomas Carnegie bought the property. His family owned the place until 1925, and the very 59-room mansion that they built was the ones in ruins today, thanks to a fire in 1959.

The Dungeness Ruins is now a part of the National Register of Historic Places and the Cumberland Island National Seashore. It is preserved by the National Park Service.
Edit Article

Dungeness Ruins Pictures Add Picture

Dungeness Ruins Videos Add Video