The Green-Meldrim House may seem just like a regular, albeit beautiful home, to many, but it is actually a historic building, as proven by its designation as a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
It was originally constructed in the mid 1800s for the cotton merchant, Charles Green. Later on, during the Union troops? occupation of Savannah in 1864 until the end of the American Civil War, it became Major General William T. Sherman?s headquarters. After the war, it was purchased by Peter Meldrim, a local politician and judge and took residence on the property.
The Green-Meldrim House was in the Meldrim family until 1943, when they sold the property to the St. John?s Episcopal?s Church who uses the structure today as a wedding reception venue. They also opened it for public tours.