Notable for its exemplification of the Victorian Era?s creativity, craftsmanship, and imagination, the Lapham-Patterson House has been declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973. It was originally constructed in 1845 as a winter home for the Chicago-based businessman, CW Lapham. It was acquired by the Pattersons in 1905 and remained in their possession until 1970.
The Victorian style architecture of the three-story Lapham-Patterson House features a number of excellent details like its fish scale shingles, double-flue chimney, long-leaf pine inlaid floors, and intricate porch design. It is positioned to take full advantage of the sunlight during the Spring and Fall Equinoxes.
Today, the Lapham-Patterson House is under the care of the Thomas County Historical Society. Check with the administration for its schedule before visiting.