Built in 1732 by 13th Colony Governor Gen. James Oglethorpe, the Tybee Island Light Station and Museum is now one of the most intact historic light stations in the country. aituated in a 5-acre property, the lighthouse had been rebuilt four times in its history, with the latest version still bearing its daymark, made in 1916, together with less than 180 stairs as well as its 9-foot tall 1st Order Fresnel lens. For more than two centuries, the light station ensured safe harbor for Savannah River's mariners and today, it's being competently managed by Cullen Chambers, the Light Station Keeper, together with his staff.
The Tybee Museum, on the other hand, was built in 1961 and is most popular for its location at the Battery Garland, which was completed in 1899 and served as a mount for a one-foot-long long-range "non-disappearing" cannon at Fort Screven.
|Tybee Island Light Station and Museum Pictures
| Add Picture
|Tybee Island Light Station and Museum Videos
| Add Video