The Ninini Point Lighthouse is an 86-foot high lighthouse that was built in 1906 though the current structure of the lighthouse was re-built in 1933. The original structure of the lighthouse was made of wood and was considered as the first wooden frame tower then.
Located at the southern part of Lihu?e, the lighthouse faces the Nawiliwili Bay. It still functions as navigation aid up to these days. But during the World War II, the lighthouse, together with the entire island of Hawaii, was purposely not lighted. It has become an automated lighthouse since 1953.
According to history, a wooden framed tower was built there even before 1906. A Portugese native, Manual Souza, became the first care taker of the lighthouse during that time. When Souza left due to wage issues, the lighthouse started to tear down. Walls, stairs and roofing became dilapidated. When the U.S. government became aware of the condition of the lighthouse, they invested for a renovation and erected a newly built lighthouse in 1906, to which now is a recognized official date of establishment of the structure.
However, the current structure of the Ninini Lighthouse did not follow the original one. As a result, the inclusion of lantern room in the designed was removed. The DCB-36 beacon on the top most of the tower was installed in 1984 to replace its old aged Fresnel lens.
Today, the lighthouse does not have a regular caretaker, thus, tourists can only occasionally enter the lighthouse and climb up to the top.