The island state of Hawaii used to be a kingdom. The monarchy existed until the late 1900s. The deceased members of the royal family were buried in their final resting place, the Waiola Church on the island of Maui, Hawaii.
Originally called Waine?e Church, this building was built in 1823 by Reverend William Richards, who founded the first mission in Maui. The church was initially made with wooden poles and thatched roof. In 1828, the island governor Hoapili ordered the addition of stone and wooden support. The church served as the Royal Family?s church back when Lahaina was still the kingdom?s capital. Several members of the royal family were interred at the church?s cemetery. The cemetery is notable for having missionaries and native Hawaiians buried side by side.
The church was renamed Waiola, which means ?water of life?. It is part of the historic district of Lahaina, which was officially designated as such in 1962.