Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill Rating: None

Kentucky Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Harrodsburg Email This Bookmark Print
The Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is the first community of its sort outside of New York and New England. It was established after three Shaker missionaries were sent to the state with the wave of the pioneers moving to the area in 1805.

After reaching Kentucky, the missionaries found a couple of recruits. More than a year later, the converts agreed to form a community, through common ownership of a 140-acre farm, originally owned by Elisha Thomas. The area of the community grew as more converts joined the group, finally tallying to 4369 acres worth of land. After the Civil War, the group?s membership declined for various reasons. This is why the community only lasted until 1910, when the group finally dissolved.

The Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is now a famous tourist attraction, restored, managed, and preserved by the Friends of Pleasant Hill.
Edit Article



Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill Pictures Add Picture



Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill Videos Add Video