A traffic rotunda situated in New Orleans? warehouse area, Lee Circle features a huge monument which pays homage to General Robert E. Lee who was Confederate Army?s leader in the Civil War. He served as the commander of the Confederate forces in their battle versus the Northern Union starting in 1862 until the surrender of his forces in 1865.
Lee Circle was initially established in 1807. Initially, it was meant to be a portion of architect?s Berthelemy Lafon?s idea to build a new community. The architect?s ambitious design though never came to life. The original name of the traffic circle was Place du Tivoli or Tivoli Square as it was meant to be surrounded by Tivoli Canal?s waters. It was renamed to Lee Circle in 1877, twelve years following the end of the Civil War to commemorate the valor of General Lee.
The enormous monument was dedicated in 1884. The statue measures 4 meters of 12 feet in height and sits atop a tall Doric pillar measuring 18 meters or 60 feet. The column is placed on a rectangular foundation found on a dune right at the middle of the rotunda. To get to the monument, guests must use broad stairs that are embellished with beautiful urns. The monument itself portrays General Lee facing north in a stance which appears like he?s confronting the Confederates? adversaries. Alexander Doyle made the Lee?s statue while the beautiful marble column where it sits on was made by John Roy.
Lee Circle is a good jumpstart point for tourists who want to go to some of New Orleans? most beautiful galleries and museums. Just a stone?s throw away from Lee Circle are the New Orleans Contemporary Arts Center, the Civil War Museum and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. The remarkable World War II Museum is only one block from the rotunda.