Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Nottoway Plantation House was built in 1858 for John H. Randolph and nowadays considered one of the finest examples of antebellum mansions. The 53,000 sq. foot plantation house consists of sixty-four rooms, seven staircases, and five galleries and sits on a land that covers 6,200 acres of ground. At that time, he was one of the most prominent citizens in the area and with 155 slaves working in his plantation, which earned money from sugarcane production. The original architecture and design was by Henry Howard.
One of the greatest damages that the plantation house suffered was during the Civil War, in which a Union gunboat opened fire on the mansion. Fortunately, one of the officers realized that he had once been received as a guest at the Nottoway Plantation and prevented the mansion?s total destruction.