Originally known as the McNeill Street Pumping Station, the Shreveport Water Works Museum was built in 1887. It was the last operating steam in the United States. It opened in 1887 as the city?s main source of water and soon after, it started its filtration process in 1890. In 1914, it was one of the facilities in the nation which first used liquid chlorine in filtrating water.
Today, the whole plant is still intact and three of its steam engines, considered to be the oldest of their type, are displayed at the museum. It is included in the National Civil Engineering Historic Landmark and the National Register of Historic Places. It is also an American Water Works Association Historic Site as well as a National Historic Landmark.
|Shreveport Water Works Museum Videos
| Add Video