The Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site is a historic site, archaeological site, park, and recreation area in New Harbor, Maine. It is also known as the Pemaquid Restoration and Museum.
Designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1993, the Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site is best noted for preserving one of New England?s first and earliest colonies. Initially, it was used as a seasonal fishing station around the 1610s, but come 1625, it was already a permanent village. By 1677, the first of the three forts that once stood in the area, Fort Charles, was built. It is also home to Fort William Henry, noted for being the first stone fort to have ever been built in the United States.
Visitors of the Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site can learn more about the area?s history through the displays in the museum, which includes the archaeological finds excavated in the site. There are also interpreters available that help guide and tell folks of the area?s past.
|Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site Pictures
| Add Picture
|Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site Videos
| Add Video