Fort Kent is a historic site and public park in Fort Kent, Maine. It is commonly confused with the town, so many also refer to it as the Fort Kent State Historic Site.
Designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1973, Fort Kent is one of the few National Historic Landmarks in the state of Maine. It was built in 1839 as a means of protection during the Aroostook War. Although, not technically a war in the strictest sense of the word but rather a dispute between the US and Great Britain about the borders that separate Maine and Canada, the site is still deemed instrumental in securing state and national border.
What remains in the old fort is the blockhouse, which was used to house officers during its operation as a fort. It is now open to the public every summer.