Serving as a colonial prison as well as a jail house from 1719 until 1879, the Old York Gaol is now known as a museum in York County, Maine. Originally the jail was built using timbers from the old York jail in 1656. Eventually it was rebuilt in four phases to make a sturdier and safer jailhouse. The present structure was completed when the gaol underwent another renovation around the 1790s, to meet the demands of better prison conditions.
After 1879, the gaol was also occupied for different reasons such as a school, a warehouse and a boarding house. It was not until 1900 when the building was used as colonial museum of relics. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in November 24, 1968.