Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Fenway Park Rating: None

Massachusetts Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Boston Email This Bookmark Print
Fenway Park in the Back Bay Fens of Boston is one of the few standing classic baseball ballparks and has gone through several transformation and modifications since it was inaugurated. Nevertheless, it still possesses the allure of the period when it was born.

The blueprint of Fenway Park was created in 1910 when then team owner of the Boston Red Sox John Taylor decided that the team require an improved and ?less embarrassing? venue for their games. Building of the baseball bark commenced in 1911 and debuted on April 20, 1912, just a few days after the Titanic sank in the Atlantic. It features a rather unorthodox shape and relatively occupies a smaller area which was dictated by the surrounding streets which were built years before.

The initial Fenway Park has a seating capacity of 27,000 spectators and was made of a mix of steel and concrete and was cladded using red bricks. The seats were carved out of oak. A conflagration which took place in 1926 burnt down the wooden bleachers found at the left field of the stadium and was never replaced. With a bit of luck, the ownership of the Red Sox fell into the hands of a more ambitious visionary Thomas A. Yawkey who immediately ordered the refurbishment of the park. Yawkey began a string of modernization steps to make Fenway Park what it is today.

Fenway Parks has several interesting features that are easily recallable because of their quirky names. One of which is The Green Monster which is actually the 37-foot tall wall located at the stadium?s left field. The Green Monster is actually part of the original structure, originally made of wood cladded in tin. When Fenway Park was renovated, the tin cladding was replaced with hard plastic.

Another quirky named feature at Fenway Park is ?The Triangle? which is actually a section situated at the stadium?s center field wherein three walls form a triangle. Next on the list of the unusually dubbed Fenway Park feature is the Williamsburg which is a bullpen area specially made for Ted Williams to enable him and other left-handed players to do homeruns. There is also Duffy?s Cliff which is a 10-foot steep area which is part of the playing field so a dedicated player is tasked to man that particular section. It was named after Duffy Lewis who was the first player who mastered this area. Finally, there is the Lone Red Seat which is a standout piece of red seat in the midst of dark blue seats. This is to mark the longest homerun ever registered in Fenway Park by Ted Williams and measured 502 feet.

Luxury spectator boxes were added to Fenway Park in the 1980s plus more comfortable seats for the Boston baseball aficionados. By this time, Fenway Park has been expanded and could now accommodate 40,000 fans. There have been talks that there?s a proposal going around to take down the park but concerned citizens and the management of the Boston Red Sox said they are committed to preserving this historic sports icon.
Edit Article



Fenway Park Pictures Add Picture



Fenway Park Videos Add Video