Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Old South Church Rating: None

Massachusetts Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Boston Email This Bookmark Print
Completed in 1873, the Old South Church, also called the New Old South instantly became one of Boston?s most beautiful religious structures. It serves as the headquarters of one of the most antiquated religious congregations in the United States ? Boston?s United Church of Christ. Sitting on a reclaimed area in the Back Bay area, the Gothic Revival of the church is a magnificent sight to behold. The Old South Church is also an officially designated National Historic Landmark.

The Old South Church was conceptualized from 1870 to 1872 by the Boston architectural company Cummings and Sears who utilized the Venetian Gothic style. The blueprint of this majestic worship sanctuary adheres faithfully to the aesthetic principles of the cultural expert and British architectural guru John Ruskin. The architects behind Old South Church namely Charles Amos Cummings and Williard Sears were also the masterminds behind the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Most of the church?s exterior is made of Roxburry conglomerate which are more popularly known as puddingstone. Numerous arches and a number of stone walls are streaked with interchanging yellow-beige and deep crimson sandstone. The porches and cavernous open arcs in the church?s campanile are embellished using basic plate motif. The porticos? higher arches are adorned with masterfully created wrought iron. The roof features varying red and dark gray slate while the roofline is trimmed with beautiful iron workmanship.

Perhaps the most distinct feature of the Old South Church is the campanile which can be seen from many Boston neighborhoods. The campanile can be found at the western side of the church which has an altitude of 246 feet and contains the bell which weighs 2020 pounds. The campanile is actually the second tower constructed for the Old South Church after the first one proved to be weak and was later on demolished. The United Church of Christ tapped into the expertise of the architectural company Allen and Collens to build the second tower. Owing to the more modern and advance technology of the 1930s, the campanile still stands in all its glory and is still the grandest component of the church.

Aside from the towering campanile, another interesting feature of the church?s exterior is the cupola found at the center above the Sanctuary located on its eastern area and resembles the cupolas in the Basilica of St. Mark. More than just a decorative element, this cupola was used as ventilation for the church.

The interior of the Old South Church is nothing less than opulent with a mix of Italian cherry carpentry, stained glass and limestone among others. The entryway to the church made from French Caen limestone sculpted in Venetian Gothic fashion provides guest with a preamble of what to expect inside. The interior which used to be very robust was replaced with a more streamlined but nonetheless affluent design by acclaimed designer Louis Comfort Tiffany who also designed Mark Twain?s abode in Connecticut and the Red Room at the White House.
Edit Article



Old South Church Pictures Add Picture



Old South Church Videos Add Video