Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Old Sturbridge Village Rating: None

Massachusetts Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Sturbridge Email This Bookmark Print
The Old Sturbridge Village vividly depicts the rural life of New England from the 1790s to the 1830s. Situated in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, the living museum occupied a 200-acre land and is considered the largest of its kind in New England. Three mills powered by water, a farm, and 59 buildings of antiquity all make up the entire village. All these made the museum a well-liked tourist destination, as well as educational attraction.

In 1926, Albert B. Wells (AB), the son of George Washington Wells of the American Optical Company, began shopping for antiques; while his brothers picked up the influence. J. Chenney was fascinated with timepieces from the early American era and Channing, fine furniture. By 1930, AB was able to stack antiques in not less than 45 rooms in his Southbridge residence.

In order to properly house his collection, AB formed the Wells Historical Museum along with his family members, associates, and brothers. In July 1936, the trustees of the museum conferred about how the collection would be displayed to the public. AB?s son George gave a bold and revolutionary proposition, make a live village.

One week after the conference, Wells Historical Museum bought a farm owned by David Wight. Malcolm Watkins was appointed as the museum?s very first curator, while Architect Arthur Shurcliff administered the landscaping. In 1941, Gristmill gyrated in operation, together with the Miner Grant Store, the Fitch House, and the Richardson House (currently known as the Parsonage). And, on June 8, 1946, the Old Sturbridge Village was opened to the public.

Today, the Old Sturbridge Village has over 50 structures. It is divided into three major areas; namely, the Center Village, the Countryside, and the Mill Neighborhood.
Edit Article

Old Sturbridge Village Pictures Add Picture

Old Sturbridge Village Videos Add Video