Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Windsor Ruins Rating: None

Mississippi Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Port Gibson Email This Bookmark Print
The Windsor Ruins are basically a series of 23, 45-foot, plastered brick columns with cast-iron capitals. It used to be the Windsor Plantation, built by Smith Daniel in 1859 to 1861. The plantation used to cover over 2,600 acres of land in Port Gibson, Mississippi

The Windsor Ruins used to be a four story building with more than 25 rooms, some of which served as a school, commissary, and a doctor?s office. It also became an observation post for the confederates, as well as a Union Hospital.

The fall of the Windsor plantation happened in 1890. It may have survived the Civil War, but a simple cigarette started a fire when it touched the debris from the repairs being made in the house. This tragedy took away everything and only left 23 of the original 29 columns, some china, the iron stairs, and balustrades.
Edit Article

Windsor Ruins Pictures Add Picture

Windsor Ruins Videos Add Video