Built in 1853, the Oakland House is now operated by the Affton Historical Society and a part of the National Historic Registry. The group, which was founded in 1973, purchased the property from the Lakewood Park Cemetery for $35,000. At present, restoration of the historical home has already amounted to $300,000, not counting the innumerable hours that had been put in by the society?s staff and volunteers.
Open every third Sunday during the months of April to October, the Oakland house has a dining room and kitchen, a library and drawing room, and a butler?s pantry at the ground floor as well as a trio of bedrooms on the 2nd floor. The servants? quarters are located directly above the kitchen while visitors would have to climb a narrow and long-winding stairway to reach the house?s four-story watchtower. The house?s notable architectural features include Corinthian columns possessing intricate carvings, windowed alcoves, fourteen-foot ceilings, elaborate plaster cove moldings, and a majestic Honduras mahogany staircase.
The museum holds special events throughout the year like breakfast buffets accompanied with live music during the 4th of July, Santa?s House, and Bunny Hutch.