A rare Italianate style house built in 1868 in Columbia, Missouri, the Sanford Conley House made its mark for sporting an uncommon architecture for its location. It was owned originally by Sanford Conley, where he lived with his wife and four sons around the late 1800s. It was owned by the Conleys until the 1970 purchase of the property by the University of Missouri.
Due to the home?s proximity to the university?s campus, it is now used as the home of the institution?s campus writing program and excellence in teaching program. The Sanford Conley House is also believed to be haunted by the ghost of Aunt Sally Conley.
The house is listed in the National Register Historic Places in 1973, right before it was purchased by the university from the Conley heirs.