The Atkinson Public Library was established in 1926. It was then called the Atkinson Township Library and it was housed in the upstairs room of the house owned by Mrs. Deck. In 1939, the librarian?s husband, Roy Richards, rented the west room of his building to the library. Six years after, the library moved to another location on the same street. It was in 1953 when the Utile Dulci Club, a group of avid supporters of the Library, aimed to find a permanent home for it. The group?s member Francis Weller and her husband, Ernie, were able to match donations to have a library building fund. The Library then was able to occupy its permanent home in a building next to the Senior Center that stands today. In order to add furnishings such as tables and chairs, $10,000 was donated by Mrs. Swingley in the 1960?s. Up to now, these furnishings are still used as they have been refinished.
Today, the Library is housed in a 6,785-square foot building and it features more than 19,000 volumes and periodicals that include the Atkinson Graphic, the Omaha World Herald, the Holt County Independent, and many more.