Edward J. Flanagan a Roman Catholic priest working in Omaha founded the original Boys Town as a boy? orphanage in December of 1917. The Boys Town or formerly known as the Girls and Boys Town and Father Flanagan?s Boys Home is a non-profit organization intended to provide care for its children and family.
Presently, the Boys town has taken a leadership role in advocating change in the current child care system which often proved to be an ineffective way of treatment. Boys town has been a national leader in the care and treatment of families and children using their proven treatment for behavioral, emotional and physical difficulties. The Boys town was designated in the National Historical Landmarks in February 4, 1985 and has already spread across different states all over the country.