Courthouse and Jail Rocks are actually the names given to two rock formations found in Bridgeport, Nebraska. The Courthouse in particular is so-called because according to travelers who have first seen the rock, the formation resembles that of the ruins of a courthouse or an old castle. The two rocks served as landmark for many travelers during the 19th*century, and many would even mention the rocks in their journals later on.
It was in 1812 that Courthouse was first noticed by a man named Robert Stuart. Along with Jail Rock, the Courthouse Rock rise 400 feet*above the North Platte Valley. The two rocks are composed of Gering sandstone, Brule clay, and volcanic ash. They are now listed as Historical Landmarks in the National Register of Historic Places and the Nebraska Natural Areas Register.