Also known as the Hill Farm Site, the Pike-Pawnee Village Site is a relatively young area where Native Americans, specifically the Kitkehahki band of the Pawnees, have lived around the late 1700s to early 1800s. It was first visited by Spanish colonizers, led by Lieutenant Facundo Melgares in 1806. After a while, it was visited by the American Lieutenant Zebulon Pike, who worked to convince the natives to raise the American flag instead of the Spanish.
The 300-acre site is a well known archaeological site. It was a designated 25WT1 by experts. It also got involved in a controversy, leading to a conflict between Kansas and Nebraska.
The Pike-Pawnee Village Site needed to be rediscovered, as it has been converted into a homesteaded land in the mid to late 1800s. Luckily, through extensive research, it was found and even declared as a National Historic Landmark in 1966.