Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Lyndhurst Mansion Rating: None

New York Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Tarrytown Email This Bookmark Print
The Lyndhurst Mansion in Tarrytown, New York was constructed in 1838. Designed by prominent architect Alexander Jackson Davis and built for Mayor William Paulding, Jr., the mansion was originally named as the ?Knoll.? Its second owner, George Merritt, named it ?Lyndenhurst? and expanded it further. In 1880, the mansion was passed on to railroad developer Jason Gould, who shortened the name to Lyndhurst. Landscaping was added to the mansion?s features as well. The swamps on the property were drained and the surrounding area was turned into a beautiful park.

In 1961, the mansion was acquired by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Declared as a historical landmark in 1966, it continues to be maintained as a museum. It is even used as a location for filming movies and TV shows.
Edit Article

Lyndhurst Mansion Pictures Add Picture

Lyndhurst Mansion Videos Add Video