Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Quitman House Rating: None

New York Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Rhineback Email This Bookmark Print
The Quitman Resource Center for Preservation, incorporated in 1976, occupies a house built in 1798 that was renamed for its original occupant, the Reverend Frederick H. Quitman.*The Town of Rhinebeck recognized the Quitman House as a local landmark in 1986.

It was an Adams style that complemented the Stone Church, constructed in 1786 on a site purchased from Gilbert Livingston.

These two buildings stood at the crest of a hill on King's Highway. 18th Century farms of the congregation surrounded the structures. German native Frederick Quitman served the Rhinebeck pastorate from February 1798 until his retirement in 1828. He was recognized by the Lutheran Church as one of the country?s leading thinkers and spokesmen. Harvard University honored him as well with a Doctoral degree in 1814.

The residence was home to St. Peter's pastors until 1929. It became a rental property due to declining church membership. It became rental property until 1974. During this time, the house faced the threat of a demolition and was saved by six concerned members of the Rhinebeck Historical Society. Its historical importance was recognized in 1975 when the Stone Church complex was listed on the NY State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Edit Article

Quitman House Pictures Add Picture

Quitman House Videos Add Video