A historic smock mill located in Middletown, Rhode Island, the Boyd?s Windmill was constructed in 1810 and is also called the Boyd?s Wind Grist Mill. It was built by John Peterson, and sold to William Boyd by 1815.
Boyd?s Windmill originally had four common sails, but four more were added later on. That?s the biggest modification it ever had in the past two centuries.
The Boyd?s Windmill was acquired by the Middletown Historical Society in 1990 through a donation. The action was done so the historic landmark could be saved from demolition. It was then moved to Paradise Valley Park to be restored.
The last structure on Aquidneck Island representing the area?s agricultural past, the Boyd?s Windmill was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. It now offers public tours on Sunday afternoons from July to September.