Replacing the Nayatt Point Lighthouse, the Conimicut Light was built in 1868. This was in accordance to the requests of mariners that a lighthouse should be placed on the shoal.
The Conimicut Light guards the entrance to the Providence River. It helped navigators while going through the dangerous waters between Bristol and Rocky Point. Sadly, maintaining the tower became quite a challenge, as no living quarters were included in the construction. This pushed the employees to go back and forth, conquering the mile long trip, from the lighthouse to the shore, on a daily basis.
Having quite a rocky beginning and service altogether the Conimicut Light became quite historic for being the last structure of its sort to convert from an acetylene lantern to electric lights.