The first building that was actually constructed for the US Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island is the Luce Hall. Completed in 1892, it was fashioned after the town hall of Antwerp, Belgium by its designer and architect, George Champlin Mason & Son. It features Flemish style architecture with four quarters for officers located on each corner, classrooms, administration office, and a library.
Facing the Narragansett Bay, the Luce Hall was completed with a total cost of $82,875. The extra budget for its construction, which totaled to $100,000, was used for heating and equipment. It housed the president?s office until 1974, when it was moved to the Conolly Hall.
Today, the Luce Hall is still being used by the US Naval War College. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.