The Museum of Natural History and Planetarium is located at Roger Williams Park in Providence, Rhode Island. It is currently the sole museum for natural history and the only public planetarium that exists in Rhode Island. It was founded in 1896, owned and operated by the local government of Providence. Its creation was initiated by a donation made by a former local, John Steere. He gave the city his private collection of bird and mammal specimens. Today, the Museum is home to more than 250,000 artifacts, 85% of which is composed of natural history pieces and the remaining 15% of cultural pieces. A library can also be found in the museum but for staff use only.
The Museum of Natural History and Planetarium is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm. Admission fee is $2 and $1 for children under 2 to 7 years of age. If you are a resident of Providence, the entrance fee for the first Saturday of the month is free.
|Museum of Natural History and Planetarium Pictures
| Add Picture
|Museum of Natural History and Planetarium Videos
| Add Video