Named after its most notable resident, the Nelson W. Aldrich House was the former senator Nelson W. Aldrich?s home in Providence, Rhode Island. He stayed in the home from 1881 to 1911, along with his family.
The house, however, was built earlier than that. It was originally constructed in 1821 for Robert S. Burroughs by John Holden Green. After that, it passed through numerous owners and was owned by Aldrich finally.
The Nelson W. Aldrich House stayed in the Aldrich family until Winthrop Aldrich deeded the property in 1974 to the Rhode Island Historical Society. The property is still with the group today, using it as their headquarters and operating it as a historic house museum.
The Nelson W. Aldrich House was declared as a National Historic Landmark in 1976.