The Pawtucket Public Library consists of 2 historical buildings, the Gerald S. Burns Building and the Deborah Cook Sayles Public Library, which are both listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Frederic Clark Sayles, Pawtucket?s first Mayor in 1999, offered to allot a plot of land for a free public library. In Europe, he looked for architectural inspiration from the continent?s most magnificent libraries. On November 18, 1899, the corner stone for the Pawtucket Public Library was laid. The Library was opened to the public on October 15, 1902. It was dedicated to the Mayor?s late wife, Deborah Cook Sayles.
A fine example of Greek Revival Architecture, the Library defines itself both in its structural style and service. It is one of the first few libraries that allowed users to access the library book stacks.