The White Horse Tavern is one of the oldest taverns in the whole United States. The site has been around since 1652, although the present structure was already a renovated version of the first one.
The first building on this part of Newport, Rhode Island was owned by Frances Brinley. He then sold it in 1673 to the popular pirate, William Mayes, who turned the place into a tavern that was also used for huge meetings, as a courthouse, and city hall. In 1687, it acquired the necessary license to operate the tavern, so Mayes run it as such until the 18th century. The place got its name only in 1730 from the new owner Jonathan Nichols.
The White Horse Tavern may not have been continuously operated as a tavern, but when it was restored in 1952 by the Preservation Society of Newport, it was once again bought by a private individual and operated the place as a drinking and dining location once again.