Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Fort Hill Rating: None

South Carolina Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Clemson Email This Bookmark Print
Fort Hill is a mansion in Clemson, South Carolina, built in the early 1800s (about 1803). It was initially owned by Dr. James McElhenny, the Hopewell Presbyterian Church pastor at the time. He called it Clergy Hall. Later on, it was passed to John C. Calhoun who named it Fort Hill, for the Fort Rutledge which stands nearby. He also enlarged the property from a four-room house to a fourteen-room building.

Fort Hill stayed in the family for quite some time, until it went through long, legal procedures concerning its ownership. In 1888, it was bequeathed to the state of South Carolina. The owner, Thomas Green Clemson, stipulated that it should never be torn down or altered and be kept on proper condition. He also stated that it should be open to visitors, so it was passed to Clemson University, who operates it as a house museum today.
Edit Article

Fort Hill Pictures Add Picture

Fort Hill Videos Add Video