Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Milton Maxcy House Rating: None

South Carolina Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Beaufort Email This Bookmark Print
Built in 1813, the Milton Maxcy House is also known as the Secession House. It got its nickname from being the venue for the meetings that favored the Southern states? independence.

Milton Maxcy, who came to Beaufort from Massachussetts in the early years of 1800s to open a boys? school, acquired the house upon his arrival in the city. Some say that the building dates back to 1743 and was just renovated and remodeled by Maxcy. Later on, it was acquired by Edmund Rhett, who helped the house to gain its reputation, being the Secession House.

The Milton Maxcy House is also known as the Maxcy-Rhett House, after the two notable owners of the property. There are two markers on the site, telling of its significant role in the nation?s history.
Edit Article

Milton Maxcy House Pictures Add Picture

Milton Maxcy House Videos Add Video