Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Old Nansemond County Courthouse Rating: None

Virginia Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Suffolk Email This Bookmark Print
The Old Nansemond County Courthouse was constructed in 1840 as a replacement to the structure that had burned in 1837 during the Great Fire. The Courthouse at this time provided a site for a partial headquarters for Union Army?s Major General Peck. It was rebuilt and used extensively until 1998.

Using an earlier Jefferson Style of public buildings, the Roman Revival courthouse was first used by Nansemond County and followed by the City of Suffolk.

Today, after an extensive restoration process, it serves yet another purpose as the Suffolk Visitor Center and Tourism Office. It also houses the Great Dismal Swamp Gallery. Visitors who wish to grasp a better understanding of Nansemond?s history can visit the site from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Edit Article

Old Nansemond County Courthouse Pictures Add Picture

Old Nansemond County Courthouse Videos Add Video