Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Campbell-Flannagan-Murrell House Rating: None

West Virginia Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Hinton Email This Bookmark Print
The historic Campbell-Flannagan-Murrell House is the oldest existing residential structure in the city and was built by Edgar Campbell in the 1870?s. Campbell was then one of the city?s first merchants and owned a basement-located general store. In 1876, he transferred the deeds to his property to his daughter and son-in-law, Alice and John Flannagan, who was a Chesapeake & Ohio Railway engineer. In 1907, Alice?s husband died in a railway accident. Photos of the Fast Flying Virginian wreckage that killed Flannagan may be seen at the Hinton Railroad Museum. In 1902, the couple?s offspring, Mary, wedded another C&O employee, Robert O. Murrell who was also one of the company?s best baseball players.

In 1990, the non-profit Flannagan-Murrell House, Incorporated was founded to preserve the historic home. Since 2004, the organization has also partnered with local groups such as the Campbell-Flannagan-Murrell House Museum, the Festival of the Rivers, the Three Rivers Arts Council, and the Mountain River Artisans for additional help in preserving the house?s heritage and educating the public about the city?s railroad history.
Edit Article



Campbell-Flannagan-Murrell House Pictures Add Picture



Campbell-Flannagan-Murrell House Videos Add Video