Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Philippi Covered Bridge Rating: None

West Virginia Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Philippi Covered Bridge Email This Bookmark Print
The oldest and longest covered bridge in West Virginia, the Philippi Covered Bridge was built in 1852, measuring a total of 285 feet long and 26 feet wide. It was constructed by the famous Appalachian bridge builder, Lemuel Chenoweth, to cross the Tygart River and connect Beverly and Fairmont, West Virginia.

The Philippi Covered Bridge is listed in the National register of Historic Places since 1972 not only for its architecture, but mostly due to its historical significance. It was a crucial location during the Battle of Philippi, which took place in 1861 during the American Civil War. Both Union and Confederate troops tried to capture the site; the former won, though, and used it as barracks for quite some time.

Today, The Philippi Covered Bridge is still used by traffic.
Edit Article



Philippi Covered Bridge Pictures Add Picture



Philippi Covered Bridge Videos Add Video