The Dousman hotel is one of Prairie du Chien's major hotels. Named after the fur trapper Hercules L. Dousman, it was built in 1864. The 3-storey brick structure the biggest and most luxurious hotel built in the city in the 19th century. It was generally used by West emigrants as a stopping point after the Civil War.
Dousman inhabited St. Feriole island. Upon seeing that the rising water from the 1828 flood did not through in most of the area, he decided to have his home and future hotel to be built there. The island further survived the 1870, 1892, 1920, and 1922 floods. Water did not come through inside the buildings on the island.
In 1869, it was advertised as the place that can "afford ample facilities for accommodation of travelers, and in the best style."
In 1960, the Dousman Hotel was declared as a National Historic Landmark. Currently, the owner is restoring the structure.