The Milwaukee City Hall, built in 1885, serves as the anchor to the city's 3-building downtown complex. Using a Romanesque Revival Architectural Design, it had become one of the world's tallest buildings in the 19th century. It was also the tallest building in Milwaukee for 78 years before the construction and completion of the US Bank Center in 1973.
It sits on the trapezoidal block surrounded by Kilbourn Avenue, Wells, Water, and Market Streets.
Inside, a 20 x 70 ft. open well can be seen. Lower floors are built using Berea Sandstone while the upper ones made use of pressed brick. Local firm G. Campbell and Sons produced the bell for the Milwaukee City Hall. It was named after Solomon Juneau, the first Mayor of Milwaukee. In February 1894, its cornerstone was laid and the building was further dedicated in December 1895.
In 1929, the tower's upper part had to be rebuilt because it was damaged when fire broke out.
In 2006, renovations began on the Milwaukee City Hall. The renovation costed $70 million.