Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2017, 08:00 PM  

Ohio
imdb shutting down message boards

The IMDb message boards are being shut down this month, and personally, I am glad.
I unregistered from the board years ago because I was tired of reading conspiracy theories, racism and sexism, hatred of EVERY movie and TV show, and other juvenile and unrelated content. The nonsense far overshadowed the legitimate commentary and questions. I was fine with someone stating that he didn't like a show, and telling legitimate reasons why, but that has seldom happened in the past decade.
The immature posters were also a reason why I started writing my own movie commentaries here.
https://www.moviefone.com/2017/02/03...essage-boards/

Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 AM  

Ohio
hacksaw ridge

I want to warn you that Hacksaw Ridge lives up to its name--it is disturbingly violent, especially the scenes with the flame throwers, one of which begins the movie.
It's also an incredibly well-done movie and I wanted to applaud at the end.
This is the story of a man named Desmond Doss, who joined the Army during World War II as a conscientious objector, with the intention of being a medic. During a battle on Okinawa, when the American troops had retreated, he stayed on the field, dragging wounded soldiers, both American and a few Japanese, to safety. He gets them down over the side of a cliff by dropping them slowly on a rope.
Although not for young children, I would recommend this movie to everyone.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 PM  

Ohio
the space between us

I thought The Space Between Us was going to be a teen romance. Instead, it's the ultimate conspiracy theory movie, and I was very disappointed. It's about a boy who was secretly raised on Mars after his mother died in childbirth and none of the other astronauts told NASA on Earth that his mother was pregnant on the journey there. As a teen he befriends a girl on Earth with whom he is corresponding.
The boy, Gardiner, eventually comes to Earth and meets the girl, Tulsa. Then they go on the run because he is very ill.
There were so many plot holes! Like all conspiracy theories, I can't believe that everyone who knew about him over the years ever kept quiet about it. How did Gardner and Tulsa learn about each other to begin corresponding? Why was there no time lag during their face-to-face discussions? Maybe these questions were answered in scenes that were deleted.
The most annoying detail of all? For the first time ever, I saw a typo in the closing credits of the cast list! It reads "Sarah's Bother," when it should have read "Sarah's Brother."
I finally figured out what movie this reminded me of. It's Capricorn One from the 1970s, which is about astronauts on the run from killers in the desert. Both movies even feature an old crop dusting plane.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:26 AM  

Ohio
Manchester by the Sea

Another stereotypical Oscar contender: slow, confusing, overly long, with no likable characters. Manchester by the Sea was, of course, nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture, but did not win.
Casey Affleck plays Lee, a man who is awarded custody of his 16-year-old nephew after the boy's father's (Lee's brother) dies of congestive heart failure. Both brothers have had their wives leave them.
The plot is confusing as it bounces back and forth in time. Lee is a cold character, and I wonder if he has Asperger's, although it is never mentioned. He can't even figure out why his nephew suddenly bursts into tears one night.
I am glad I saw it in a second-run theater on its cheap day. I was not impressed.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!