Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 11-29-2010, 01:43 PM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Brotherbill View Post
Actually he has written a few books. And if you listen to his music you could guess that his books are about being a modern day pirate and not giving a bleep about anything but having a good time.

Actually he can spin a good tale. If you want to read a book that will make you want to sell your house and move to the tropics pick up one of his books.

Current reading Ringworld. Next is Ringworld Engineers. Then Ringworld Throne. Then Ringworld Children.

I'm such a Larry Niven bobo it's sick.
I already want to do that, so I;m going to stay away from his books.

Never heard of Ringworld. What's it about?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 PM  
Senior Member

Anoka, Minnesota
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 101 | Kudos: +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Never heard of Ringworld. What's it about?
Ringworld is about a ring around a sun with the diameter of the earths orbit. The ring is a million miles wide with walls on either edge over a thousand miles tall. The ring spins at a rate to induce a force of gravity equal to the earths. This allows for a breathable atmosphere to stay on the ring. On the surface of the ring there is a sculpted landscape with mountains, rivers, plains, seas etc. Two gigantic oceans set on opposite sides of the ring are big enough to have one to one layouts of planets on them.

You might be thinking of Halo right about now. Don't! The Ringworld books came way before Halo was even thought of. How they weren't sued for all the profits made of that game is beyond me.

The book is about a expedition to the ring and the issues associated with the adventure.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Sounds cool, I'll check it out next time I'm in Half Priced Books.

I don't know anything about halo, but it sounds like a cool terraforming concept.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:44 PM  
The Amish wolfman...
 
Otahyoni's Avatar

Terre Haute, Indiana
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 746 | Kudos: +53
Currently reading Monster Hunter: Vendetta

It follows Monster Hunter International..... and i can't put it down...

The first one i read almost straight through in 8 hours...
__________________
I am known by many names:
Otahyoni, Otah, Utah, Chris, Steve, Fred, The Amish Wolfman, and Mark's Little Buddy...
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:44 PM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otahyoni View Post
Currently reading Monster Hunter: Vendetta

It follows Monster Hunter International..... and i can't put it down...

The first one i read almost straight through in 8 hours...
What's that about?


I just got to the point in my book where they're outlining the holdings and war strategy of the Tokigawa Shogunate, not that anyone asked.

I also am in the process of finishing The User Illusion where Norretranders sits down to define the irreversibility of Newtonian and Thermodynamic laws, hence their inability to be true laws of the universe, or at least, that's where I think he's going.

I need to join a book club for people that like hard boring books.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM  
Member
 
bigjoe's Avatar

New Paltz, New York
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 123 | Kudos: +19
Just started another Clive Cussler book, Arctic Drift. So far pretty good.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 PM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
What does he write?
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM  
Member
 
bigjoe's Avatar

New Paltz, New York
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 123 | Kudos: +19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
What does he write?
Cussler writes action/suspense. Most stories start off with a true event from history thrown in and the story plot is played into it. 9 out of 10 times the stories take place either in or on the ocean as well.
There is a loose time line with the books and you could read them in order of release but you don't have to. I think the first one I read was "Raise the Titanic!" It was made into a movie and was pretty bad but the book I thought was good. The movie "Sahara" from a couple years ago is also based on one of the novels too. I think the next one I read was "Vixen 03".

Cussler also has a few non-fiction works about real shipwrecks he has found over the years. He is given credit for locating the CSS Hunley.

Another cool factor IMO is Cussler is a car collector and many times he has his main charter Dirk Pitt find the latest car he has bought as a "barn find" somewhere. So how could ya go wrong there
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:16 PM  
Junior Member

Newfoundland
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7 | Kudos: +10
A resource i just started using. 1000's of FREE audiobooks. In the public domain.

LibriVox

I was listening to a book on Buddhism the other day when i went for a walk. I always found Buddhism interesting. btw i'm not religious per se.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:29 PM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Cussler writes action/suspense. Most stories start off with a true event from history thrown in and the story plot is played into it. 9 out of 10 times the stories take place either in or on the ocean as well.
There is a loose time line with the books and you could read them in order of release but you don't have to. I think the first one I read was "Raise the Titanic!" It was made into a movie and was pretty bad but the book I thought was good. The movie "Sahara" from a couple years ago is also based on one of the novels too. I think the next one I read was "Vixen 03".

Cussler also has a few non-fiction works about real shipwrecks he has found over the years. He is given credit for locating the CSS Hunley.

Another cool factor IMO is Cussler is a car collector and many times he has his main charter Dirk Pitt find the latest car he has bought as a "barn find" somewhere. So how could ya go wrong there
When I have nightmares, I dream of sunken ships, so I'm staying away from this guy, but thank you for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabrew View Post
A resource i just started using. 1000's of FREE audiobooks. In the public domain.

LibriVox

I was listening to a book on Buddhism the other day when i went for a walk. I always found Buddhism interesting. btw i'm not religious per se.
Which book? I've read more than a few. Well mainly the works of D.T. Suzuki.

Cool link too.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.