Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Dallas
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 09-08-2010, 11:44 AM  
Junior Member

Dallas, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3 | Kudos: +10
Affluent Neighborhoods in Dallas

Where are the older affluent neighborhoods here in Dallas? Older mansions and such.

Just moved here and the wife and children enjoy going on drives and would like to check a few out.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM  
Junior Member

Garland, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1 | Kudos: +10
Anytime I want to drive around and look at some neat houses I go down to Highland Park or University Park. These areas have for years been the place that the wealthy have bought or built houses. You might even do a google search to determine if there are specific ones you would like to see. There is a mix of old and new, big and small but overall it is just a beautiful area. The area has long since been "boxed in" meaning there is no more new land for sale which drives the prices of the property alone usually higher than the house that was constructed there. There are definitely some mansions but some of them won't be as old as you and your family might like.

The bad part is that when someone buys a piece of land with a house on it the house, more often than not, is razed to the ground and a new house built. Mostly this is because the old houses now are not big enough and it is harder to update an older house rather than build new.

When you go for your drive, do it on a day when it would be worth having the windows down. Let me know how you like the area. Welcome to Dallas!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM  
Junior Member

Fort Worth, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10 | Kudos: +10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee750 View Post
Anytime I want to drive around and look at some neat houses I go down to Highland Park or University Park. These areas have for years been the place that the wealthy have bought or built houses. You might even do a google search to determine if there are specific ones you would like to see. There is a mix of old and new, big and small but overall it is just a beautiful area. The area has long since been "boxed in" meaning there is no more new land for sale which drives the prices of the property alone usually higher than the house that was constructed there. There are definitely some mansions but some of them won't be as old as you and your family might like.

The bad part is that when someone buys a piece of land with a house on it the house, more often than not, is razed to the ground and a new house built. Mostly this is because the old houses now are not big enough and it is harder to update an older house rather than build new.

When you go for your drive, do it on a day when it would be worth having the windows down. Let me know how you like the area. Welcome to Dallas!
Check out University Drive in University Park, its the older mansions that have either been rebuilt/remodeled or are as they were when built.

Also you can check out the area over by Lower Greenville Ave by the bars, some really really nice homes built in the laste 70s early 80s that were ahead of their time.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM  
Junior Member

dallas, tx
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5 | Kudos: +10
the lower Greenville area is mostly retro looking McMansions on postage stamps. Not exactly majestic or historic.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 AM  
Senior Member
 
Pandora06's Avatar

Rockwall
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 511 | Kudos: +17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellam View Post
Where are the older affluent neighborhoods here in Dallas? Older mansions and such.

Just moved here and the wife and children enjoy going on drives and would like to check a few out.

I would definitely visit Highland Park, they have the old money. If you go more towards Plano, you will find nice houses as well, but it's more along the lines of new money. The same can be said if you go East on I-30 towards Rockwall. Lots of big, nice houses. The further downtown you go the more Historic they get, the deeper you get into Rockwall's suburb, Heath, the more new the atmosphere gets. Overall, really great schools, still feels somewhat like a small town, growing rapidly and 20 minutes outside of Dallas. Check it out!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM  
Junior Member

Rockwall, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12 | Kudos: +10
Don't forget the Lakewood area and Kessler Park area of south Dallas.
Welcome to town!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 AM  
Senior Member
 
Pandora06's Avatar

Rockwall
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 511 | Kudos: +17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Don't forget the Lakewood area and Kessler Park area of south Dallas.
Welcome to town!
Lakewood does have some nice, historic houses, esp. on the lake front.

Intuit: I'm from Rockwall too!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:55 AM  
Junior Member

Rockwall, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12 | Kudos: +10
Some great old homes large and small in and around Rockwall, Including one just south of Square built by my Great Grandfather but not in the family now but recently was beatifully restored by present owners.
Greatings Pandora06!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 PM  
Junior Member

Stephenville, Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 20 | Kudos: +10
I'm a Highland Park fan myself .. Mostly because of their High School football team..I think everyone there supports their Kids more than other towns.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM  
Junior Member

McKinney, Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5 | Kudos: +10
Come Christmas time, highland park is the place to be for lights. (just a thought for a cheap date in the next few months)
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Dallas
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.