Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Ad Blaming Romney for a Death

The pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA ad blaming Mitt Romney for the death of a woman whose husband worked at a steel plant that closed a couple of years after Romney left Bain Capital is a bit sick. What a stretch, by using such logic someone could be blamed for casualties for any layoff. To make a real stretch I suspect that one could find that someone died because an ambulance was diverted to avoid a motorcade, or even when planes can't land or take-off due to AF-1 airspace requirements.
__________________

__________________
I remember when power tools and small appliances had flexible cords.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 AM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
The pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA ad blaming Mitt Romney for the death of a woman whose husband worked at a steel plant that closed a couple of years after Romney left Bain Capital is a bit sick. What a stretch, by using such logic someone could be blamed for casualties for any layoff. To make a real stretch I suspect that one could find that someone died because an ambulance was diverted to avoid a motorcade, or even when planes can't land or take-off due to AF-1 airspace requirements.
the problem is you have one political party pushing for only having employee based healthcare as being any good or having any reliability and then that same side acting like they have no responsibility for healthcare. It can't work both ways.

employers are responsible when they continue to lobby to keep people chained to employer based plans, so yes they are responsible when they lobby like that. If they have engineered it so there is no other option then yes, they are responsible. Big business can't have it both ways, it just doesn't work like that if they want to lock people onto the healthcare plan and fight to prevent any alternatives then yes they are morally responsible for what happens to those people.
__________________

__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
I disagree. Once in my life I was laid off and chose to purchase private health insurance from the same company as the group plan. My wife had heart surgery to replace her mitral valve during that period. Had I not purchased the insurance whose fault would it have been if she had died before I went back to work? To say my former employer would be a stretch.
__________________
I remember when power tools and small appliances had flexible cords.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I disagree. Once in my life I was laid off and chose to purchase private health insurance from the same company as the group plan. My wife had heart surgery to replace her mitral valve during that period. Had I not purchased the insurance whose fault would it have been if she had died before I went back to work? To say my former employer would be a stretch.
and was this a pre-existing condition? I assume not since it was covered and no private plan covers pre-existing conditions, you got lucky in that sense, not everyone wants to rely on luck as a method of planning for the future.
__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
and was this a pre-existing condition? I assume not since it was covered and no private plan covers pre-existing conditions, you got lucky in that sense, not everyone wants to rely on luck as a method of planning for the future.
It was a pre-existing condition that's why I chose the same company that the group plan was with. In essence I converted the group plan into private insurance with a higher premium. It wasn't luck, just responsible planning.
__________________
I remember when power tools and small appliances had flexible cords.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
It was a pre-existing condition that's why I chose the same company that the group plan was with. In essence I converted the group plan into private insurance with a higher premium. It wasn't luck, just responsible planning.
so as I said before, something that is not a fits-all situation you are recommending as a fits-all situation, excellent. Since you are recommending this I assume you agree all employers and plans should be required to be provided as an option to each employee, correct?
__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 AM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
so as I said before, something that is not a fits-all situation you are recommending as a fits-all situation, excellent. Since you are recommending this I assume you agree all employers and plans should be required to be provided as an option to each employee, correct?
I am not recommending any nanny state tactics, they lead to socialism.
__________________
I remember when power tools and small appliances had flexible cords.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:54 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I am not recommending any nanny state tactics, they lead to socialism.
so you want no solution to the problem period then because the "free-market" will not solve it, excellent plan and has worked for exactly zero developed countries.
__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 PM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
so you want no solution to the problem period then because the "free-market" will not solve it, excellent plan and has worked for exactly zero developed countries.
The government should not be responsible for our health insurance.
__________________
I remember when power tools and small appliances had flexible cords.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
The government should not be responsible for our health insurance.
or our safety right? fire/police/military why should we ask such things from the government when the free market has such great solutions, oh wait, those are the reasons people FORM governments and healthcare fits perfectly along those lines.
__________________

__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.