Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 AM  

Government VS The Private Sector. What Makes An Economy Grow?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM  

Greenville, SC
I didn't have to watch the video.
Answer:
Private sector.
Reason? Because the basic meaning of "economy" is the buying and selling of products and services. The private citizens are the ones who need products and services primarily. The government can contribute through the buying and selling of products, but it is really only acting as a "middle man" because said products and services are merely for the private citizens (with funds taken from the masses). I'm sure some will argue that the government does buy things for itself in the form of defense technology or infrastructure. This is true but it is still in the end (supposed to be) "for the good of the people (or private sector)".

It is my opinion though that when the government gets into the business of "growing business" that it is likely only going to create artificial growth that will only collapse. Artificial growth is almost always doomed to collapse (as we saw through the housing market bust). The meddling with interest rates is an example of artificially manipulating the economy.

I will concede that the government CAN invest in some technologies to possibly "jump start" a private industry but it is RISKY in that it invites corrupt activities. I would prefer creative ways for the government to invest in technology (such as "prizes" or incentives) as opposed to direct investment in an individual business (for example).

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I didn't have to watch the video.
Answer:
Private sector.
Reason? Because the basic meaning of "economy" is the buying and selling of products and services. The private citizens are the ones who need products and services primarily. The government can contribute through the buying and selling of products, but it is really only acting as a "middle man" because said products and services are merely for the private citizens (with funds taken from the masses). I'm sure some will argue that the government does buy things for itself in the form of defense technology or infrastructure. This is true but it is still in the end (supposed to be) "for the good of the people (or private sector)".

It is my opinion though that when the government gets into the business of "growing business" that it is likely only going to create artificial growth that will only collapse. Artificial growth is almost always doomed to collapse (as we saw through the housing market bust). The meddling with interest rates is an example of artificially manipulating the economy.

I will concede that the government CAN invest in some technologies to possibly "jump start" a private industry but it is RISKY in that it invites corrupt activities. I would prefer creative ways for the government to invest in technology (such as "prizes" or incentives) as opposed to direct investment in an individual business (for example).
I agree fully with everything you just said. I will clarify that agreement, though, in that commercially capitalizable public infrastructure can provide a conduit for economic expansion in certain areas. Roads, bridges, radio spectrum allocation, etc. I will also clarify that without rule of law, commercial endeavors are completely infeasible.

And my own opinion on technological R&D is influenced heavily by the accomplishments achieved during and following WWII and during and following the Space Race.

In *all* R&D ventures, the vast majority of ideas will be scrapped. The vast majority of innovations will be useless. R&D is an inherently inefficient but absolutely essential process.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:18 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
....In *all* R&D ventures, the vast majority of ideas will be scrapped. The vast majority of innovations will be useless. R&D is an inherently inefficient but absolutely essential process.
This is very true. I work in in manufacturing in an engineering department. We use resources to try things. Even if we (or I) know something won't work, we have to try to do it anyway and document the attempt. Resources are used to no avail quite regularly.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
This is very true. I work in in manufacturing in an engineering department. We use resources to try things. Even if we (or I) know something won't work, we have to try to do it anyway and document the attempt. Resources are used to no avail quite regularly.
"I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that don't work"
- Thomas Edison
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
"I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that don't work"
- Thomas Edison
That's right... Smart guy.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 AM  

Kent, Ohio
I read this:

http://io9.com/5965728/this-condom-d...hen-disappears

and thought of this thread.

Basically, this is a condom that dissolves in the vagina, releasing anti-HIV and spermicidal medications. Personally, I don't see how it would be any more effective than a typical condom + vaginal suppository of those same drugs. But:

Quote:
The researchers have just received a $1 million grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to develop the technology.
To me, that seems like a wasted endeavor. If the government funded this particular project, I might consider it a waste. But apparently, the Gates Foundation is intrigued enough with the idea to throw a cool million at it. They apparently know more about it than I do. A government that has that same knowledge might come to the same conclusion.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
That's right... Smart guy.
Smart enough to take credit for other people's ideas.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
I read this:

http://io9.com/5965728/this-condom-d...hen-disappears

and thought of this thread.

Basically, this is a condom that dissolves in the vagina, releasing anti-HIV and spermicidal medications. Personally, I don't see how it would be any more effective than a typical condom + vaginal suppository of those same drugs. But:

To me, that seems like a wasted endeavor. If the government funded this particular project, I might consider it a waste. But apparently, the Gates Foundation is intrigued enough with the idea to throw a cool million at it. They apparently know more about it than I do. A government that has that same knowledge might come to the same conclusion.
I didn't read the article but by your description it seems to be the same as the vaginal suppository alone. Maybe it makes for easier application if it is in the form of a condom? And since it dissolves you don't have the "I can't feel anything with a condom on" situation (or excuse) that you often hear.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
This could do a lot of good in Africa where HIV and Aids is rampent. This would give the women a fighting chance at not getting infected.

If I had as much money as Uncle Bill I would throw a mill or 2 at it easy.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.